Friday, September 4, 2015

Things are going to get worse before they get better...

...is what I kept telling myself on Sunday night, during the last bowel prep of my life (yay!).  

I've lost count over how many bowel preps I've done over the years, but it has been a lot.  I made the mistake of thinking my pre-op bowel prep would be like any other.  What made this one different is the short course of two different antibiotics - 12 pills total - that were prescribed during the prep to stave off any intestinal bacteria that could be problematic if/when spillage occurs during surgery.  (You're welcome for that imagery!) And if you've ever taken antibiotics on an empty stomach then you probably can understand the pain and nausea that accompanied my pre-op party with my colon.

Needless to say, Monday morning couldn't come soon enough.  I arrived at the hospital at 6:30am, was processed quickly and put into an OR prep room, where I changed into a hospital gown, got hooked up to an IV, talked to the nurses and anesthesiology resident.  I got this, I thought.  Then as soon as they left the room, I completely freaked out.  Of course three seconds later my surgeon arrived to say hello and check in.  He reassured me that pre-op anxiety is extremely common and helped calm my nerves.  I took several deep breaths.  The last thing I remember was being rolled into the OR, fascinated by all of the equipment and special lights and people in the room.  Then I drifted off to sleep.